Friday, December 20, 2013

Shimas and Unicorns


Hey everyone!

This week was the fastest one yet!
I got to perform my first baptism too!

We had two big Christmas parties, one with the ward, and one with a couple zones of missionaries, and then the sisters and Elders from Fort Defiance went and sang at a huge Christmas bazaar at the museum. We have gone caroling and singing in Navajo a few times now, it's been so fun!

At Hashke's baptism was great. Her mom and grandmother were there, and they were so proud of her! We brought a bunch of investigators to the baptism as well, and they all really enjoyed it!

At church this Sunday, I was really surprised to see a ton of people there who I would NEVER expect at church! We have been working on this old shima for months and she finally came!! It was so amazing to see her randomly appear there! We also had 5 investigators there!

Mom and dad, that string trick book you sent me is AWESOME. I know a ton of cool ones now and all the Natives think I'm a pro >:))))

I've been learning a lot more Navajo and am starting to read and write better!

Overall, this week went by the fastest so far, because we really worked hard, and I focused on not worrying about home, and it FLEW by. The trick I found for myself is to really get involved with what is going on with the people we see. I love visiting them and feeling like they are my family! When I worry about them, and what we need to do to help everyone here, it is a lot more enjoyable. 

I am most excited for Brian, Arlinda, Audrey, and Kera. They have been our investigators for a few weeks and they come to church EVERY Sunday. Audrey (17) is so awesome, she asked us the other day about the Word of Wisdom. Apparently she had Googled it a couple weeks before and was already living it! Arlinda calls Elder Gwilliam and I her "shiyazh" or son's, and she is making us rugs!!! Rugs take hours and hours and hours and they are a really big part of the culture here! Brian is so fun, and there is always a HUGE grin on his face, he likes to joke around a ton. And Kera will give you a hard time but she is always just teasing you. These guys really do feel like my family. I am so happy to be here and serve them, and all the other people in Fort Defiance, Arizona. Keep this family in your prayers this week!

Thanks everyone for the letters, support, and good vibes.  I sent out a ton of Christmas presents so I hope they all get to you safely!  I'm starting to trust the mail less and less, the USPS here got robbed on the 7th! Luckily I didn't have anything in it. But still, what the heck!!

Keep me in your thoughts and prayers, and have an amazing week.

My challenge this week is to get off your smart phone and go out for a whole day noticing the people around you. Do something nice every chance you get, especially for people you don't know. Even a smile or a small conversation! If you are up to the challenge, then do it! And let me know how it went! Go one day without being selfish and just turn outward as Christ did and serve all day! Walk a day with Christ, and have God in your heart.  I promise if you do, it will be a fantastic day.
But that's only if you can deal with the iPhone withdrawls ;)
 
 
Love you all!

Until next week :)
 
 Sunset
 
Navajo Christmas Bazaar! Mom, you would go crazy for the stuff here. This guy had some amazing art.
Some of the coolest paintings I've seen!
This is me and Mrs. Navajo, she won out of everyone on the whole reservation!
They have to do a bunch of random stuff like play a Navajo flute, make fry bread, dance, etc.
  Baptism with Hashke!  She was so excited! The water in the font came out all green but nobody even cared, it was such a good day!
  Arlinda working at the loom
 So cool!
 
This is Arlinda!! She is so awesome! She is going to make me a rug :D
(Not sure wazzup with this, but Davis asked me to add these scriptures...)
 
Zechariah 5:1-2
Then I turned, and lifted up mine eyes, and looked, and behold a flying roll.
And he said unto me, What seest thou? And I answered, I see a flying roll; the length thereof is twenty cubits, and the breadth thereof ten cubits.

Numbers 23:22
22 God brought them out of Egypt; he hath as it were the strength of an unicorn.

No comments:

Post a Comment