Monday, October 21, 2013

Week 2 on the Rez!


Ya'ah'teeh'!
Hey everyone!
Another crazy week on the Rez!

The poverty, abuse, and conditions here are horrifying, and I have seen God's hand in my life every day here.

One lady called us this past week, in hysteria! Her husband had just been drinking again, and he had assulted her and ripped a lot of her hair out. She was completely out of sorts, and she had called me and my companion, telling us she didn't know what to do. I told her to come to the church! It was a crazy, long day, but we gave her a blessing, and she was able to calm down and work out her situation. She is leaving her husband, even though it was so obviously difficult for her. She made the choice after a lot of prayer and thought.

But the point of the story is that God really does comfort us. In our utmost times of hardship, God is right there with us. We can pray and recieve comfort from Him. And so how much more important it is to pray and give thanks during the times when we DON'T have hardship! We can't take God for granted!! Be aware of Him at every moment, during every day!

I honestly don't know what to write!  I'm learning a lot more Navajo, trying to be able to pick up words during conversation, and I am learning a lot of phrases to use during lessons! "Nihi zhe'e diyin God ani..." "Our Father in Heaven says..."  Stuff like that!

I have worked hard alongside the Navajo people this week. I love them! Their people are so amazing. I love all the little kids, they have the deepest, roundest brown eyes you will ever see! My buddy, Kai is in 3rd grade, and he calls me shi'k'is (my buddy). 

We went out wood hauling with a few of the ward families, and these stumps were HUGE. One of them landed on my left hand. I scraped up all of my fingers, and my index finger was so swollen I couldn't bend it for a couple days! It kinda hurts to type right now haha! But it's better now, and it was so worth it!

Send me letters! If you have questions or anything just write me, and I'm happy to tell stories, give advice, or share experiences!

We have one investigator, Georgina, who is doing so well! But she didn't show up yesterday for her lesson! Keep her in your prayers!  She is a nice Catholic lady who isn't allowed by her pastor to take Communion because she was married outside the church. She is struggling a lot, and is super busy with work!  But I can't wait to meet with her again soon!

Overall, this week, I just want you all to know how important it is to pray!  Without getting help from Christ this week, I WOULD HAVE BEEN TOAST. Strike that. Navajo Fry Bread. But same thing.
During our hardest times, we need to remember to get down on our knees, and plead God for help.
I KNOW I wouldn't have been able to get through everything this week without that.

Diyin nihil holo doo.
God be with you!

Hagonee'!


Me on top of Window Rock from last Monday! Such a cool hike!!


View from our P-day hike
 

 Here is a big tarantula that we found crawling on my shoe!


This is John. He is a former practicer of Tradition, which is the Navajo religion.
He is going through cancer, and leukemia treatments, and is such an incredible guy. He is now christian, and we teach him about our church every week. He really enjoys our visits, and he has read the whole book of mormon. He always has really good questions too. I love visiting him!

No comments:

Post a Comment