Monday, October 21, 2013

"What it's Like on the Rez" from a letter.

The following is an excerpt from a letter we received this week:

This is what its like on the Rez:

Each trailer is spread out very rurally.  EVERY SINGLE ONE is water damaged, dilapidated, and broken down!  Now imagine tracting in a huge dust storm, and in muddy, snowy weather! (yes its snowed here one day!)  Add attack dogs chained up in EVERY yard!  Rottweilers are scary!  My companion has been bitten and taken to the hospital! Two other Elders in Chinle were shot at!  Are you getting a good mental picture?  NOW...take all of the above into consideration, and then imagine that me and my companion are the ONLY WHITE people!!  Everyone is Navajo!

They call us "bilagaana".  It used to translate into something like "indian killer", but now it just refers to white people.  The Navajo are so awesome!  If you yell "ya at eeh" to them, they light up and welcome us over.  They usually let us in to talk too.  Most of the time they are just being polite though.  NEVER compliment something in their home, they will insist on giving it to you and if you don't take it, they will be greatly offended.  I mentioned the wonderful smell of food in one home, and the man hurried to make me a huge sandwich, even though they had so little food!  One elder complimented a painting and they forced him to take it!  Gotta be careful, haha!

We live in a little trailer right behind a church building.  We share with another companionship, and our tiny place is like a 5 star hotel compared to the peoples homes!

Ive taught so many amazing lessons already, and seen miracles happen. I don't say that lightly either.  God loves us SO much  and gets me through every day here.  The people we teach are changing.  A few families were already so prepared for us before we even taught them.  I am literally here in Gods will, teaching the people He has prepared!

The members and investigators here have such faith and humility, especially for their circumstances, and I have truly been humbled here.  Everyone needs to experience this!

Religions!

Everyone here is religious in some way.  Here are the 4 main options:

1. LDS:  There are a lot of baptized Navajo here.  Most are inactive and don't know anything about the church.  They were part of the placement program that took place a few decades ago. 

2.  Catholic:  Lots of Catholic schools were put in years and years ago. 

3.  Traditional:  I don't know a ton, but this is the native religion.  Its scary!  I don't know the theology but it involves peyote, ceremonies, etc.  Some forms are more innocent, just a belief in an overall creator coupled with some funky stuff.  But the other side of traditional is very corrupt!  Medicine men here claim to be able to change or heal people.  It costs $900  here to be "healed" of an ear-ache!  And the people pay it!  They smoke peyote and perform very expensive rituals.  A very small part of traditional is satanic and involves skinwalkers and demonic things that are believed to haunt the night here.  Its very important to have the Spirit here, and know that the Savior us protecting you.  Lots of traditional is fueled by superstition.  Its apparent that satan is real here!  But guess who is stronger?  That's right!  Jesus Christ!  :)

4.  NAC:  Native American Church.  They have their own beliefs and hate traditional.  I'm pretty sure they use peyote too. 

Overall the culture here is crazy!

Luckily, my area of the Rez is much safer compared to others in my zone, and I haven't dealt directly with anything too scary.  But if I have to, I'm truly ready.  I love my Savior and trust Him to keep me safe.  I am here to bring our brothers and sisters to Him.  He will not fail me.  I know He is always by our side!

No comments:

Post a Comment