Friday, January 31, 2014

Floods, Temple Open Houses, and Progression!


This was the best week of my mission so far. Sunday was the best day so far! After 4 months of hard work, it all paid off.

We have been working on organizing a HUGE temple trip for months. This weekend it finally happened! 23 people from our teaching pool attended! Those are less active members, investigators, and recent converts! None of these people had been inside a temple before, and they had the chance to drive to Gilbert, AZ and see the open house! From the other missionaries in the area, more people attended, and our ward got 50 people to attend overall!!
When they got to the senior center that we were given to stay at for the night, the pipes all broke, and the rooms flooded with water! After an 8-hour car ride to Gilbert, these people were exhausted, and now they had to go swimming at 11:00pm! Even though a few mishaps occurred, everyone came back with good reports of the trip.
On Sunday, I think because of the trip, there were over 180 people in attendance! That is a new record for over a year!

The best part of the day, and my mission, was during church. We have been working with Ty for 4 months, since I got here. We've tried to drop him 5 times because he wouldn't progress, but every time we would go over with the intent notify him that we would be done visiting him, he has a new amazing experience, and has progressed again! God wouldn't let us lose Ty. And I'm glad too. He showed up to church!! To truly appreciate how AWESOME this is, you would have had to meet this guy from the beginning. I have seen MONUMENTAL progression in his life. I have seen, from day one, the night and day change in this guy. He was dark and full of sin when we first met him. He didn't believe in God, or in anything good! And now he prays, he recognizes the spirit, he tells us that when he follows the commandments, he is happy, and it is SO cool, because he is being truthful! He SMILES! If you knew Ty, you would appreciate that this is a huge step. Yesterday, he attended church and felt the spirit really strongly. He is coming to terms with God and himself.
We set a date for him to be baptized in 4 weeks! He is so excited to have a clean, fresh start. I felt pure joy and elation as he told us this, and as I have seen his transformation.
I know that if I was sent to Fort Defiance, Arizona for a reason, then it was for Ty. Keep this guy in your prayers!

So much progress has been made here since I arrived. In the missionary work, the ward involvement, and my personal progress! I love learning and experiencing new things every day.
I love my God, and my savior Jesus Christ for trusting me with this life.

Have an amazing week everyone!
Don't forget to recognize the tiny blessings in your life, because they are HUGE!
Smile every day, and thank God for something new, because He gives us 100 gifts a day. Try to recognize just one of them!

Love you all,
Elder Hilton

 We celebrated Elder Linds one year mark by burning his shirt!  My comp goes home in 2 weeks!
 
Joseph, who is getting baptized, lives in this old worn-down trading post.
Akon, the rap music artist, filmed a segment of his music video "ghetto" in Rio Puerco.
That's the neighborhood I serve in every day.
I am a boss. 
 
 
We drive this road every day, I have grown to love the dead scenery.
 
Sunset in Fort Defiance, AZ.

No comments:

Post a Comment